Literacy is our primary focus here at St. Theresa School. We have been making great strides with the literacy skills of our students, and plan on continuing this trend.
Below are some of the many activities and strategies we have been working on to improve literacy:
-Our classes all participate in Daily 5 literacy activities during their ELA block.
-We have a 2 hour/day uninterrupted ELA block each and every day for all students.
-We have 1 Full-time Literacy Lead teacher in our school to assist teachers and students.
-The reading levels of our students are monitored closely as our teachers assess all students a minimum of three times a year using PM Benchmarks and other quality literacy assessments.
-We have writing contests.
-We discuss literacy at our monthly assemblies.
-We have a dedicated Literacy Committee that meets on average twice a month.
-We have Family Literacy Nights.
-We do book bonus draws every day where students take new books home to keep.
-Our students participate in Guided Reading and Writing.
-St. Theresa hosts a local and regional spelling bee.
-We host a "Reading Fair."
-Our teachers regularly participate in PD directly aligned with our literacy goals.
-We have been working hard to improve classroom libraries and the school library.
-and much, much more!
St. Theresa School has set a 90% minimum attendance rate for all of its students. Research has proven that regular attendance is directly linked to academic success, and we work hard to educate our students to realize that "Every day counts." We have been making attendance gains for the last 5 years here and are proud of our students!
Top 3 Attending classes for September are:
- Trophies for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place classes with highest attendance rates each month
- Certificates for all students who have perfect attendance each month
- Certificates for all students with 90% and higher attendance each month
- Parent draws each month for parents of children who attended 90% and more that month
- Monthly perfect attendance celebrations
- Snacks for students
- Select rewards for classes or students with improved attendance rates
- Huge prizes at the end of the year for perfect attenders that have not missed a day all year and who were not late and did not get picked up early.
Attendance is not only a major focus for St. Theresa School but for all schools across Northland School Division. Click here to learn about the Attendance Improvement Initiative - Every Day Counts.
St. Theresa School partners with APPLE Schools to create a sustainable healthy school community. APPLE Schools is an innovative school-focused health promotion initiative proven to make a difference in schools. It impacts the lives of more than 20,000 students annually in schools across Western Canada by improving their healthy eating, physical activity, and mental health habits. Visit appleschools.ca
Cree Language Program
Our Cree instructors dedicate themselves to ensuring our students have ample opportunity to learn the Cree language in meaningful and engaging ways. The instructors follow the Alberta Education Cree Language Program of Studies and incorporate local language and culture in the program as much as possible. They infuse many of our literacy initiatives into their teaching as well.
On the first Friday of each month, our school hosts its monthly assembly in the gymnasium for all students. Each month the following topics (among others) are covered:
- O Canada (English, Cree, or French)
- Monthly Virtue
- Apple Schools (usually includes a whole school choreographed dance and this year will feature exercises)
- Literacy is the key
- Students of the Month
- Student Council Updates
- Spirit Days
- Review of Monthly Cree words/phrases
- Daily Announcements
- and much more!
Our teachers work hard to provide our students with a quality physical education program. The aim of the program is to enable individuals to develop the knowledge, skills and attitudes necessary to lead an active, healthy lifestyle.
- Adhere to Alberta Education Guidelines for minimum 30 minute requirement and program curriculum
- Enhance instruction by offering field trips within the community and on the school grounds i.e. swimming, skating, trim track, Winter Walk, sliding, etc.
- Use cooperative games from programs such as Tribes, EverActive, and LionsQuest to add to student skills
St. Theresa School is pleased to offer students a variety of extracurricular activities during school hours, at lunch/recess breaks, and after school. Here are just a few of the activities we offer:
- Sports teams (soccer, volleyball, floor hockey, and basketball)
- House Leagues
- Student Playground Supervisor Program
- Student Council & Mentorship
- Cree Craft Club
- Homework Club
- Swimming and Skating
- Spirit Days
- Literacy Club
- Walk/Run Club
- and much more!